Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blogging. The Key to Experiential Preservation?

My passion is traveling. However, one of the most annoying things is telling people the details of my trips. Don't get me wrong, I love telling stories, but after explaining how awesome a place is 10 or 20 times, it actually starts to lose it's glamor. I have kept a personal journal now for about 5 years; I am considering this a small extension with photographs!

Up until now I have been to 21 different countries: Mexico, Guatemala, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, England, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Turkey, Italy, Andorra, Vatican City, Mallorca (Spain), Monaco, Luxembourg, and Portugal. I have confirmed plane tickets to Sweden (tomorrow), Tunisia (next week), Egypt (next month), and Switzerland (in May). There are a few other places on the list, but we'll get to those later.

I have lived in a town with only 300 people and a metropolis of 5,000,000 people. I grew up in a small town called Hamilton, KS, then moved to Wichita, KS for university. I have also lived in Washington DC (Silver Spring, MD technically) for an internship, Berlin, Germany for a study abroad, Tulsa, OK, for work, and I am currently living in Toulouse, France for work, supporting the Airbus A350 program.

Meeting new people, learning new things, and eating exotic foods are a few of my favorite activities. I can get along with anyone from anywhere. I consider myself very open-minded and not judgmental. I have a very John Stuart Mill-esque philosophy on life, and am a card carrying member of the Libertarian Party. My mantra is "If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly." I have that tattooed on all my online forums, and I even had it inscribed on the back of my iPod. Half-assing anything is not an option. If you are going to do it, do it.

I hate when people say, "I wish I could travel as much as you!" Everybody can travel. It is VERY easy. People just have to suck it up and do it. It's all about prioritization. For me, I don't care what cable package I have, I don't care if I have leather couches, and I don't care if my laptop is 3 years old; I would much rather spend my money on plane tickets and hostels. If you are timid about leaving the country, feel free to come with me on one of my adventures, I love company. Traveling with a buddy is more fun. I am a firm believer that experiences should be shared.

To close out my first post, I have created a slideshow of most of the places I have been so far. I realized after I started that I could not insert text, so if you want to know where something is, just ask and I'll tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment